Date:      Fri, 02 Dec 2011 20:51:11 -0600
From:      Rob <lists@midsummerdream.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   AHCI driver and static device names

I was getting ready to install the latest FreeBSD 9-RCs image, and I
found that 9 now defaults to using the ahci driver for sata disks.  This
would be great if it weren't for the fact that the ahci driver seems to
do dynamic device name assignment as opposed to the static ones used
with the older drivers.

I've looked around on google and while this is mentioned (in old
threads), the "solution" is to use labels or elaborate mapping via hints
which really aren't solutions imo.  If I have 15 disks in an array, I
want to be able to label them and know which bay is which device name.
If I have to replace a drive, I have no idea what dynamic device name it
will have when it comes time to partition (and label, if I were using
that).  I could probably figure it out by looking at what disks are used
on the system, but that's more work that it really should be.

Is there a way to use the ahci driver and get static device names?

Rob