Date:      Mon, 16 Oct 2000 18:31:45 +0200
From:      Len Conrad <lconrad@Go2France.com>
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Rackmount Servers

>   I wouldn't consider either Dell or Compaq propietary hardware,
>especially Dell.  Dell is just a system assembler, they don't make any
>components themselves.

yes, but can you just slip out a Dell p/s or mobo and replace it with
another non-Dell p/s or "standard" Asus/Abit ATX mobo. That's what I
mean by "proprietary".  If I have to use Dell-brand mobo's, it's proprietary.

> > Buy 1U and 2U empty cases, and build your own servers and appliances
> > from quality components.
>
>   Most 1U cases don't allow redundant power supplies.

nope, haven't found one here.

>  Power supply failures are either the number 1 or number 2 source
> of system failures.

yep, in fact you can't really spend too much on the original p/s,
seeing what one failure is going to cost.

150K hours MTBF is what some p/s mfrs like PC Power Cooling
quote.  Very hard to get our local compenents guy to quote MTBF.  I
think "Fortron" is known to be industrial, rather than consumer, quality p/s.

http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com: ISC BIND 8.2.2 p5  installable binary for NT4
http://IMGate.MEIway.com:  Build free, hi-perf, anti-spam mail gateways