Date:      Thu, 03 May 2001 14:53:10 +0200
From:      "Timothy S. Bowers" <security@nol.co.za>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   reverse or not

I've been battling with this one for almost a few weeks now with no good outcome at all.
Maby one of you guys can point out the problem.

When I do this:  # telnet 127.0.0.1 25
It takes around 30 seconds to connect to the local exim mail server.
Actualy..  it takes long from anywhere.

I thought the problem was that reverse DNS was not setup (correctly).
I checked the DNS and it looks perfect. (This box has the exact setting of another box that is currently working)
I have gone through all the ip's and checked the reverses just to make sure and all seems ok.
/etc/resolve is set to localhost and 127.0.0.1
I've got 127.0.0.1 as localhost in the file /etc/hosts.

Another thing:  if I plug out all the network cables and reboot so that the box isn't connected to anything then "telnet 127.0.0.1 25" works perfectly.

Why ? :(
Did I maby forget to check something small ?

Hope someone can help me.

Timothy Bowers