Date:      Wed, 16 May 2001 10:00:54 +0100
From:      "Michael A. Smith" <msmith@code-fu.com>
To:        freebsd-alpha@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 500a/au

At 01:26 2001-05-16 +0000, mel kravitz wrote:
>Download the manual which is on-line for the 600a/au (pdf file 230+
>pages ), this is a good reference -clearly describes product
>(433/500/600a/au) shipped thru-july 1997, as well as all the SRM
>commands, no USB since bus did not exist at that time.
>ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/workstations/aausetinstal.pdf

 From the same site, here's the manual I have:
ftp://ftp.compaq.com/pub/products/workstations/combomtr.pdf

On pages 2-9 to 2-12 they have diagrams and legends for the motherboard and
riser card. The "au" series riser cards have one IDE connector (CD-ROM
connector), the "a" series have two (primary & secondary IDE).

I'm sure there are zillions of different setups (different combos of riser
cards, USB/no USB, SCSI cards and graphics cards) that went out to fulfill
different contracts. These were pricey enough when they were still being
sold that someone buying a bunch of them (e.g. govt or big business) could
specify exactly what they wanted.

Anyhoo, I love mine!!

--
  "When a man is tired of London he is tired of life; for there
   is in London all that life can afford." -- Samuel Johnson