Date:      Thu, 09 Aug 2001 14:58:44 -0500
From:      Jonathan Fosburgh <syjef@hal-pc.org>
To:        "Brad Morgan" <B-Morgan@concentric.net>, "Joe Clarke" <marcus@marcuscom.com>, "FreeBSD User Questions List" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   OT License Question WAS: RE: BSD license question

At 01:16 PM 8/9/01 -0600, Brad Morgan wrote:
>It depends on how the license is written.  The BSD license is less
>restrictive than the GPL license so you may be able to go BSD to GPL, but
>not GPL to BSD.
>
>I'm not a lawyer so don't take my word for it.  Carefully examine the text
>of the licenses.
>
>Brad

I am not a lawyer etc etc etc.  But it is my understanding that the owner
of the copyright can, at any time change the license. Licenses restrict
users, not owners.  I don't know who owns the product in question, but
whoever does could relicense it as GPL if they wish. xfmail used to be BSD
licensed, but the owner essentially gave it up and it is now GPL'd.

Jonathan Fosburgh                       |       Certified AIX Administrator
Software Systems Spec. III              |       ICQ: 32742908
Communications and Computer Services    |       MSN: syjef@hotmail.com
UT MD Anderson Cancer Center            |       Jabber: syjef@jabber.org
Houston, TX                             |       Yahoo: jefosburgh