Date:      Mon, 22 Jul 2002 11:49:18 +1000
From:      Rob B <rbyrnes@ozemail.com.au>
To:        John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
Cc:        alpha@freebsd.org, ticso@cicely.de
Subject:   Re: How to netboot an Alpha?

At 08:20 22/07/2002, John Polstra sent this up the stick:
>In article <20020721172936.GF83916@cicely5.cicely.de>,
>Bernd Walter  <ticso@cicely.de> wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 21, 2002 at 09:47:06AM -0700, John Polstra wrote:
> > > Could somebody point me to some instructions on how to netboot an
> > > Alpha?  I don't need much detail, just a quick jumpstart.  I already
> > > know how to netboot an i386 machine using pxeldr.  My machine has a
> > > DE500-BA network interface (dc driver).
> >
> > That's what I used with isc-dhcpd some time ago:
>[...]
> > netboot is serviced via tftp.
> >
> > I'm not shure if it still works as there were several rumours
> > about problems with netboot.
>
>Thanks -- that's helpful.  But what do I do on the Alpha itself to
>tell it I want to boot from the network?

If you have the DHCP server and kernel name saved in the corresponding srm
variables, you can do:

 >>> boot ewa0

Cheers,
Rob

--
When you don't know what to do, walk fast and look worried.

[15200.8 km (8207.8 mi), 262.8 deg](Apparent) Rennerian
This is random quote 1187 of a collection of 1254