Date:      Fri, 11 Jan 2013 15:50:56 +0000
From:      Matthew Seaman <matthew@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: pkgng - Symlinks created by portupgrade?

On 11/01/2013 15:18, Walter Hurry wrote:
> On Thu, 10 Jan 2013 01:50:34 +0000, Walter Hurry wrote:
>
>> Thank you yet again, Matthew. As always, you are a fount of knowledge.
>>
>> The guidance on LATEST_LINK has helped a great deal. I still have a
>> further question or two though; I shall follow up within a day or two.
>
> Just one further question: Is there a reason why 'pkg create' doesn't
> generate synonyms this way, even when the output directory is set to /usr/
> ports/packages/All?

Yes. 'pkg create' may be used to create arbitrary packages outside the
context of ports, so it doesn't want to assume the LATEST_LINK layout.
(All you need is an appropriate MANIFEST file... or a previously
installed package on your system.)

Like I said, for the purpose of generating a pkgng repo, this whole
question of directory structure is pretty much immaterial: pkgng doesn't
care.  Any sort of directory structure containing .txz package tarballs
will do. (Usually putting all the pkgs together in one big directory is
what happens.)

The LATEST_LINK layout is aimed at people logging into a ftp server and
hunting through the directory tree for the packages they want.  Most
pkgng repos won't let you login like that, nor will all of them
necessarily let you get a directory listing, other than the data you can
extract from repo.sqlite.

As for special casing things when writing to ${PORTSDIR}/packages/All --
no one has seen fit to write the code to do that.  If you think this
sort of functionality would be useful, well, we always like to get pull
requests.  I would point out though that there is already perfectly good
code in bsd.port.mk et al to do this sort of thing, which you can access
by 'make package'.

	Cheers,

	Matthew