Date:      Sat, 25 May 2013 18:07:49 -0500
From:      Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD installers and future direction

On 05/25/13 13:26, Bruce Cran wrote:
> On 25/05/2013 17:15, Matt Olander wrote:
>>  From my vague recollection, we discussed improving bsdinstall by tying
>> it in with pc-sysinstall, which we've been threatening to do for at
>> least a year. Also, there was much discussion about Devin's bsdconfig
>> perhaps tying in with a Google SoC Project.
>>
>> I think Devin was nominated for most of the work, since he was unable
>> to defend himself :P
>
> Thanks. From previous discussions with Devin I think he has other
> plans for the installer that don't involve pc-sysinstall. But since it
> seems the future is all sh(1) code, I won't be able to contribute.
>
> https://wiki.freebsd.org/PCBSDInstallMerge lists a few limitations
> with pc-sysinstall - are these being fixed?

I'm not aware of any movement there (on either side of the table). I'd
personally be very suspicious of an all-sh(1) future -- by far the
cleanest parts of bsdinstall are in C -- and this is especially true for
interacting with geom. That said, since I've lost nearly all of my free
time and ability to work on bsdinstall, I won't get in the way of anyone
else working on things
-Nathan