Date:      Wed, 11 Sep 1996 23:33:51 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        brianc@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: IDE and ASUS P/I-P6NP5

Hey, folks, I think this whole SCSI vs IDE debate sort of misses the
fundamental point, which has nothing at all to do with "which is
better."  We're in the business of providing an operating system
with FreeBSD, which means that the decision making process should
always go like this:

1. Evaluate what the market is using, paying particular attention to
   what the existing and potential FreeBSD segments of it are inclined to buy.

2. Assign development priorities based on this data.

3. Identify existing human resources.

4. Match resources to projects.

Of course I say "should" because we're a volunteer project, and we
don't get to do everything the way the commercial boys do, so steps 3
and 4 get a lot more creative, usually more like:

3. Identify appropriate mailing lists to whine into, the volume and
   frequency of said whining being directly proportional to the importance
   of the task.

4. Wait for resources to match themselves to projects. :-)

So when you sum it all up, I guess this means that IDE should be
considered very important and dealt with accordingly as a large
segment of the existing and potential market. At the same time,
however, our volunteer nature brings it all down to who'll do the
work, and step 4 in our modified list is what needs to happen now if
any progress is to be made here. :-)

					Jordan