Date:      Thu, 07 Nov 2013 19:23:07 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?G=E1bor_K=F6vesd=E1n?= <gabor@kovesdan.org>
To:        freebsd-doc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [HEADSUP] Merging DocBook 5.0 update

On 2013.11.07. 16:12, Gábor Kövesdán wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I will soon merge the DocBook 5.0 updates to head. The tree will
> temporarily be locked until the merge is done. I will send out another
> email I have finished.

The merge is done, head is now open again for commits.

What you should know about the new infrastructure:
- Basically, things work more or less in the same way, except that the
tools, that we use for generating the printed output, are different.
- Instead of the id attribute, now we use xml:id.
- Linking is done with the xlink:href attribute, which can be used on
most DocBook elements. Cross-references sill work with the xref element,
these generate the link text based on the destination and thus are empty
elements. If you want to specify the link text, use the link element
with the link text enclosed in the element.
- Instead of articleinfo, bookinfo, sect1info etc. now we simply use info.
- For a more detailed explanation on the DocBook 5.0 markup changes see
this: http://docbook.org/docs/howto/#changes

I hope I will have time to update the fdp-primer soon as well. Before
you commit, please make sure you run *make lint*. It will validate the
documents and tell you about errors in the markup. If they validate
fine, rendering should be OK. For this, you don't need Java, only PDF
documents require it.

There are some element name changes that are meant to reduce and
rationalize our DocBook customization layer. I will report these back to
the DocBook project, hoping that they will include some of our
extensions in further versions:
- makevar is now varname
- maketarget is now buildtarget
- svnref is now revnumber
- devicename is now filename
- username is now systemitem class="username"
- groupname is now systemitem class="groupname"
- hostid role=XXX is now systemitem role=YYY
- filename role="package" is now package
- filename role="port" is now package role="port"

Thanks The FreeBSD Foundation for their support on this work and to
Hiroki Sato (hrs@) for his comments and review on the pathset and to the
rest of people, who commented on the PDF output. Also, big thanks to
Glen Barber (gjb@) for updating the cluster to the new dependencies.

I hope you will enjoy the new PDF documentation, which looks much better
than the old one, yet it still needs some refinements. These adjustments
will be done continuously from now on.

Gabor