Date:      Wed, 09 Jul 2014 14:42:44 +0200
From:      Mark Martinec <Mark.Martinec+freebsd@ijs.si>
To:        freebsd-pf@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Future of pf in FreeBSD ? - does it have one ?

On 2014-07-09 0:32, Kristian K. Nielsen wrote:
> f) IPv6 support?- it seem to be more and more challenged in the current
> version of pf in FreeBSD and I am (as well as others) introducing more
> and more IPv6 in networks.
> E.x. Bugs #179392, #172648, #130381, #127920 and more seriously #124933,
> which is the bug on not handling IPv6 fragments which have been open
> since 2008 and where the workaround is necessity to leave an open hole
> in your firewall ruleset to allow all fragments. Occoring to comment in
> the bug, this have been long gone in OpenBSD.

The neglect of IPv6 in FreeBSD's pf is a real deal-breaker for us.
Besides the long-standing bugs (like: scrub reassemble tcp
breaks CRC on IPv6), the following stands out:

- last time I looked, neither PF nor IPFW could be used on a
FreeBSD kernel built WITHOUT_INET. This means that features
like ssh-guard and per-application protection on a dedicated
IPv6-only host are not available

- no support for IPv6 prefix translation,
and no stateful NAT64 support

Then, unrelated to IPv6:

- no support for DSCP (the TOS byte includes ECN bits, hard to
filter out)

- the new 'match' mechanism would be really nice to have

Mark