Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 2014 14:46:33 -0400
From:      John Wolfe <jlw@xinuos.com>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, bapt@freebsd.org
Subject:   pkg, version 1.3.6, gets SIGSEGV when attempting to fetch packages for DVD media in the release process

For the past several months I have been building the 10-STABLE release
media.  This was primarily to track the Bhyve changes as they were
brought back from CURRENT and there impact on Bhyve support that my
company is adding to our legacy Unix OS's.

Yes, I know that 10-STABLE tree is an ever changing tree and subject to
unintentional build problems.   That is expected, accepted and there
have been a few of those, which I have either waited for the correction
to be quickly be checked in or was able to immediately work around the
issue.

Two issues have been related directly to pkg version 1.3.x changes:

1. FreeBSD's usr/src/release/scripts/pkg-stage.sh failed with pkg 1.3.0

     export PKG_CACHEDIR="dvd/packages/${PKG_ABI}"
              . . .
     ${PKGCMD} fetch -d ${DVD_PACKAGES}

The "pkg fetch" failed to populate the PKG_CACHEDIR as previously. The
*.txz were placed directly in the PKG_CACHEDIR and not within a
${PKG_CACHEDIR}/All as before and expected on distribution media.

The work-around was to specify the destdir on the pkg fetch command.

${PKGCMD} fetch  -o ${PKG_CACHEDIR} -d ${DVD_PACKAGES}

2. pkg 1.3.6, checked yesterday (Tues.) got a SIGSEGV on the above pkg
fetch command.

+ /usr/sbin/pkg -d update -f
Updating repository catalogue
Fetching meta.txz... done
Fetching digests.txz... done
Fetching packagesite.txz... done
Removing expired entries... done
Adding new entries... done
Incremental update completed, 1187 packages processed:
0 packages updated, 0 removed and 1187 added.
+ /usr/sbin/pkg -d fetch -o dvd/packages/freebsd:10:x86:64 -d
archivers/unzip devel/subversion devel/subversion-static
emulators/linux_base-f10 misc/freebsd-doc-all net/mpd5 net/rsync
ports-mgmt/pkg ports-mgmt/portmaster shells/bash shells/zsh
security/sudo sysutils/screen www/firefox www/links
x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware x11/gnome2 x11/kde4 x11/xorg x11-wm/xfce4
sysrpt x11-drivers/xf86-video-vmware x11-drivers/xf86-video-mga
x11/nvidia-driver x11/nvidia-settings x11/nvidia-xconfig
emulators/open-vm-tools-nox11 emulators/virtualbox-ose-additions
x11-drivers/xf86-video-cirrus x11-fonts/clearsans
x11-fonts/croscorefonts-fonts-ttf x11-fonts/inconsolata-lgc-ttf
x11-fonts/sourcecodepro-ttf x11-fonts/sourcesanspro-ttf
x11-fonts/ubuntu-font x11-fonts/urwfonts x11-fonts/urwfonts-ttf
x11-fonts/ttmkfdir x11-themes/gtk-murrine-engine
x11-themes/gtk-oxygen-engine x11-themes/gtk3-oxygen-engine
x11-themes/gtk3-unico-engine x11/xfce4-whiskermenu-plugin
audio/xfce4-mixer deskutils/xfce4-notes-plugin deskutils/xfce4-volumed
deskutils/xfce4-xkb-plugin deskutils/cairo-dock
deskutils/cairo-dock-plugins x11-themes/thewidgetfactory
x11-themes/clearlooks-themes x11-themes/clearlooks-themes-extras
x11-themes/greybird-theme x11-themes/gtk-qt4-engine
x11-themes/gtk-murrine-themes x11-themes/gnome-icons-elementary
x11-themes/gnome-icons-faenza editors/nano misc/mc sysutils/lsof
editors/vim editors/gedit
Segmentation fault (core dumped)
*** Error code 139

There are some points and details to be acknowledged here:

  * more packages than the default FreeBSD DVD distribution are being
    fetched.
  * The fetch is from a locally built repository - poudriere with a
    10-STABLE jail.
      o repo was built this past weekend following a poudriere ports
        update and used pkg 1.3.5.1
      o DVD media was subsequently built using that repo and the pkg
        1.3.5.1 compiled and used by the build (prior to Tuesday's pkg
        1.3.6 check-in)

Any ideas?

Thanks

-- John Wolfe   - Xinuos, Inc.