Date:      Sun, 14 Dec 2014 10:22:33 -0800
From:      Darren Pilgrim <list_freebsd@bluerosetech.com>
To:        Matthew Seaman <matthew@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Bad upgrade behaviour with 1.4.0

On 12/14/2014 5:28 AM, Matthew Seaman wrote:
> The default postgresql client in the public repositories is postgresql92
> -- any reference to postgresql93 must be due to locally compiled packages.

The system has postgresql92-{client,server} installed as you can see
from the output.  It also has pgsql=9.2 in DEFAULT_VERSIONS in
/etc/make.conf.  The first mention of postgresql93 on this system was by
pkg-upgrade.

> Yes, this is buggy behaviour by pkg(8) -- it works very well when all
> your packages come from a single repository, but can have problems if
> you configure multiple repositories or (apparently) mix locally compiled
> ports and the main FreeBSD repositories.

It's *new* buggy behaviour, though.  In prior versions, I could use
locks to make pkg-upgrade skip packages it wasn't managing (i.e., those
I'm installing from ports).  It reliably worked very well.  There is a
regression in pkg 1.4.0 such that this is no longer possible.

Worse, it wasn't trying to reinstall the ports, it wanted to simply
delete them.  If I had left everything unlocked and proceeded with the
upgrade, it would have left a broken system due to missing software.
Prior versions (like 1.3.8) would have reinstalled the depending
packages (if unlocked).  I know this because that's exactly the
behaviour I was preventing with the locks.