Date:      Tue, 18 Aug 2020 00:18:00 -0400
From:      "Farhan Khan" <farhan@farhan.codes>
To:        "O'Connor, Daniel" <darius@dons.net.au>, "Eugene Grosbein" <eugen@grosbein.net>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Recognizing Matrix as an official channel

Hi all,

Glad to have started the discussion. A few comments:

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020, at 5:23 PM, Matthias Apitz wrote:
> Why we would need this at all? Aren't mailing lists with archives not good enough, or even better?

In a nutshell, the idea is to facilitate communication up to modern norms. While I respectfully do not agree that email is sufficient, supposing that was the case, it is not what people currently use.

On Mon, Aug 17, 2020, at 6:37 PM, Dave Hayes wrote:
> There already exists one active channel and it does get used. I think the OP
> just wants an official stamp of approval and maybe a blurb on the webpage
> pointing to the channel.

Essentially, yes.

Interesting to hear about the other various clients. I used to use a plugin for WeeChat, so it was a seamless migration from IRC.

You can view public rooms via a browser, such as here: https://view.matrix.org/. This means we could potentially provide a permanent URL to a public chat room for reference, whereas IRC is ephemeral.

--
Farhan Khan
PGP Fingerprint: 1312 89CE 663E 1EB2 179C 1C83 C41D 2281 F8DA C0DE