Date:      16 Dec 1996 15:00:58 +0000
From:      Paul Richards <p.richards@elsevier.co.uk>
To:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>
Cc:        terry@lambert.org (Terry Lambert), current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Plan for integrating Secure RPC -- comments wanted

Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu> writes:

> No, that's an exportable DES crypt(3), which is not the same as
> exportable DES. The MIT DES library can't be exported. (Although, I
> discovered that my 4.4BSD-Lite CD from ORA at UNIX Expo a while back
> includes the Kerberos IV source and the MIT DES library source. I
> wonder if ORA has shipped any of those CDs overseas.) Luckily,

I had a discussion with someone in the Perl group who was from ORA. He
claimed FreeBSD was being overly restrictive in it's lack of DES
code. He cited NetBSD and 4.4 claiming that both were exportable
because the DES code was only being used for authentication and not
encryption. I'm wondering if there may be some confusion at ORA due to
the fact that 4.4 has a unidirectional DES based hashing function
(which I was not aware of). I'm not sure that would be exportable
anyway, isn't it still encryption technology even if it's not used as
such. I suspect that the CD you have is exactly what is being exported
since this person stated that was what they were in fact doing.

  Email: p.richards@elsevier.co.uk
  Phone: 0370 462071 (Mobile), +44 (0)1865 843155