Date:      Fri, 18 Dec 1998 05:50:02 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        "Marco Molteni" <molter@tin.it>
Cc:        Guido Stepken <stepken@fss.firmen-info.de>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: A better explanation (was: buffer overflows and chroot)

> In my situation I have a *legitimate* user, call him Bob, who actively
> searches such buffer overflows. He does it for research, and he isn't
> unserious as you state, I assure you.

If he's searching for truely interesting exploits and he needs root
priviledge for this, then he must not be very serious about this. :-)

It seems a truly dedicated attacker would want to show how things
could be exploited *as an ordinary user* in making the case for a
serious defense against buffer overflow and other similar types of
exploits.  Doing it as root is a little like proving you can "break"
into a house when you have a full set of keys to all the doors. :-)

> So my idea/question is: if I build a chroot jail for Bob, fitted with all
> he needs (eg /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, /usr/libexec, etc) and I
> replace all the suid root binaries with suid root2 binaries, where root2
> is a normal user, he can do his experiments, but he can't get root.

No chroot jail is really safe in the hands of someone with root
access; he can always use raw device access to get at things outside
the jail (or even destroy them inadvertantly during exploit testing).

If someone wants to be root on a box, make him get his own to destroy.
This is nothing that any computer facilities support department would
generally allow, I can say that much, and if I asked for root access
as "Bob" in just about any situation I can think of, the owners of the
box in question would laugh wildly for about 5 minutes and then tell
me to go jump myself.  If I want that kind of access, I have to assume
that it's going to have to be my own box.

- Jordan