Date:      Thu, 26 Sep 2002 16:53:02 -0400
From:      Khachaturov Vassilii <Vassilii.Khachaturov@comverse.com>
To:        "'Adi Linden'" <adil@adis.on.ca>
Cc:        freebsd-cvsweb@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: CVSweb and cvs in chroot

> I setup a cvs server in a chroot jail. How would I go about
> accessing that
> cvs repository using cvsweb?

Depends on what your goal is and what your security policies are.
E.g., if you don't trust cvs pserver access running on your machine,
so you set up a chroot jail for it, you may still feeling it to be perfectly

OK to just let your cvsweb (running, say, under a non-priviledged
web process uid) have read access there - I am assuming you trust
your web server process so that it sees the cvsroot and below.
Just make sure the files there are readable for the web user.
If you want the annotate feature write access is needed (e.g.,
add the web server to the cvs repository writing group - but
this brings a risk from the cvsweb+webserver setup and code
potential security problems). I don't use annotate - exactly because
I have my cvs repository mounted read-only in my webserver env.

Or, you can make your web server root-jailed and its root-jail has
to include the cvsweb's one in it.

HTH,
	V.

with "unsubscribe freebsd-cvsweb" in the body of the message