Date:      Wed, 15 May 2019 12:16:37 -0400
From:      Matt Garber <matt.garber@gmail.com>
To:        Will Andrews <will@firepipe.net>, "Julian H. Stacey" <jhs@berklix.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable ML <stable@freebsd.org>, "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <hackers@freebsd.org>, FreeBSD Core Team <core@freebsd.org>, Alan Somers <asomers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD flood of 8 breakage announcements in 3 mins.

> On May 15, 2019, at 12:12 PM, Will Andrews <will@firepipe.net> wrote:
>=20
> On Wed, May 15, 2019 at 10:45 AM Julian H. Stacey <jhs@berklix.com> =
wrote:
>=20
>> Batching also means some of these vulnerabilities could have been
>> fixed earlier & less of a surge of demand on recipient admins time.
>>=20
>> An admin can find time to ameliorate 1 bug, not 8 suddenly together.
>> Avoidance is called planning ahead. Giving warning of a workload.
>> Like an admin plans ahead & announces an outage schedule for planned
>> upgrade.
>>=20
>> Suddenly dumping 8 on admins causes overload on admin manpower.
>> 8 reason for users to approach admin in parallel & say
>> "FreeBSD seems riddled, how long will all the sudden unplanned
>> outages take ?  Should we just dump it ?"
>> Dont want negative PR & lack of management.
>>=20
>=20
> What admins prefer 8 downtime events instead of 1?
>=20
> =E2=80=94Will.

Exactly. If batching 8 (or more) individual bugs/issues together into =
one release is really causing admin/manpower overload and angst, then =
maybe it=E2=80=99s time in your situation to use the binary updates =
(which would only be a single `freebsd-update` and reboot, so there =
would be no =E2=80=98sudden unplanned outages=E2=80=99) rather than =
tracking src and remediating each individual bug at a time. I understand =
that might be mutually exclusive with other reasons why you don=E2=80=99t =
already use binary updates or prefer to track src for the base system, =
but there are always compromises and trade-offs to everything, and =
batching seems preferable to any alternatives.

You=E2=80=99d seriously want to run reboots across a server fleet every =
other day for two weeks if there were 8 separate patches staggered out? =
That=E2=80=99s insanity, and is way more of a PR problem from a =
=E2=80=98should we just dump it=E2=80=99 perspective. You mention =
=E2=80=98announces an outage schedule for planned upgrade=E2=80=99, but =
that=E2=80=99s really its own form of internal batching =E2=80=93 it =
shouldn=E2=80=99t make any difference if you=E2=80=99re technically =
pushing 1 or 8 bug/security fixes during that pre-identified period of =
time: all of your other internal processes like maintaining a test group =
for detecting regressions, using boot environments (or other storage =
features) to allow for rollbacks, etc. all continue to work as intended.

Any potential negative PR within your company/organization seems like it =
would be related to how else you=E2=80=99re handling the upgrade =
process(es), not whether the fixes are batched or not. Whatever other =
negative things you can say about them, I don=E2=80=99t hear enterprise =
admins begging that Microsoft/Oracle/whoever would dribble out patches =
one at a time each week instead of combining them like they do; it seems =
like it works just fine for everyone else.

=C2=AF\_(=E3=83=84)_/=C2=AF

Thanks,
=E2=80=94
Matt Garber