Date:      Sat, 8 Nov 2008 14:06:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      "Chris \"Bigguy\"" <bigguy_40@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   PowerMac G4 graphics issue

This is for Justin and Horst both -

Just today I've FINALLY gotten Debian linux to work properly on my Power Mac Digital Audio with Nvidia graphics card.  Getting the graphics right took many weeks to figure out, but I can now report the fix is easy.

Edit the file /etc/X11/xorg.conf and change the value of "UseFBDev" from "true" to "false".  This one change takes the system from not-working-at-all to OMG this is great!

I'm hoping that for freebsd the fix is similar, if not identical.  Please let me know.

By the way, I have reason to believe that this fix is not required if an ATI graphics card is installed.

All my best  - Chris
Rochester, New York