Date:      Thu, 10 Feb 2000 20:06:01 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   My views on Eclipse/BSD

Since everyone seems to be jumping up and down on this, I thought I'd
just chime in with my two cents on the matter.

I saw the Lucent folks behind this when they first brought a demo of
Eclipse to FreeBSDCon '99 and, frankly, I was just pleased that they
were willing to show up as exhibitors and to show it off at all.

Now we see it more widely available under a license which allows us to
play with it but not to sell it.  Where's the harm in that?  We can
all still benefit from the experience of examining yet another type of
approach in dealing with Quality Of Service issues.  The truly
interested can also use it as a springboard for looking past Eclipse
and into the future of QoS systems, hopefully to then begin
implementing something in the open source space which takes us to an
even greater level of technical sophistication in FreeBSD's QoS
infrastructure.

None of that requires Lucent to be any more "open" than they currently
are with the licensing of Eclipse and we really ought to be thanking
them right now (instead of whining) for allowing us to take such an
open and thorough look at their design strategies.  It took a lot
longer than for Plan9 to escape from Lucent and we should, if
anything, be marvelling at the speed at which this has taken place at
all. :-)

I'd also venture to say that if such a next-generation QoS movement
springs up as a result of what people see in Eclipse, it won't be long
before these very same folks at Lucent are among the loudest voices of
all, screaming for a truly OSS license and the ability to work
cooperatively on Eclipse's follow-up act.  By the very nature of
software engineering Eclipse is already obsolete, and what we can
learn from it going forward interests me a lot more than its license
at the moment.

- Jordan