Date:      Thu, 28 Apr 2005 15:04:10 -0400
From:      john thomas <inactiv8@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-small@freebsd.org
Subject:   picobsd and freebsd 5.3

Hi there - I'm trying to use picobsd on freebsd 5.3 and having a few proble=
ms.

I am simply doing "/usr/src/release/picobsd/build/picobsd bridge" as
root, accepting all the defaults and selecting 'build' from the
dialog.  It sucessfully compiles the kernel, does crunchgen ok (with a
few errors re: sshd which im confident I can fix in crunch.conf
later), and then starts to build the floppy image and dies like this:

Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Avail Capacity iused ifree %iused  Mounted on
/dev/md0c       2967 1311  1656    44%      70   376   16% =20
/tmp/picobsd.7g7xz6SAFI
/dev/md0c: FILE SYSTEM CLEAN; SKIPPING CHECKS
/dev/md0c: clean, 3312 free (8 frags, 413 blocks, 0.1% fragmentation)
0+1 records in
0+1 records out
13 bytes transferred in 0.000101 secs (128903 bytes/sec)
disklabel -Brw -b /boot/boot1 -s /root/pico/build_dir-bridge/boot2 md0 auto
usage: bsdlabel disk
                (to read label)
        bsdlabel -w [-n] [-m machine] disk [type]
                (to write label with existing boot program)
        bsdlabel -e [-n] [-m machine] disk
                (to edit label)
        bsdlabel -R [-n] [-m machine] disk protofile
                (to restore label with existing boot program)
        bsdlabel -B [-b boot] [-m machine] disk
                (to install boot program with existing on-disk label)
        bsdlabel -w -B [-n] [-b boot] [-m machine] disk [type]
                (to write label and install boot program)
        bsdlabel -R -B [-n] [-b boot] [-m machine] disk protofile
                (to restore label and install boot program)
---> fail: Error <1> error code <floppy_disklabel> in <>
Error while doing disklabel on of floppy.img size 1440
---> Aborting ./picobsd

I added an echo of what seems to be the command that causes it to
fail, you can see it in the output above but I'll also put it here:
disklabel -Brw -b /boot/boot1 -s /root/pico/build_dir-bridge/boot2 md0 auto
I'm pretty new to freebsd so I have no idea what that command is
trying to achieve, but perusing the disklabel manpage shows no -r or
-s arguments, and a quick look at
http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/cvsweb.cgi/src/release/picobsd/build/picobsd
shows that those options were both added in v1.29 (as well as a bunch
of other things), which is the version that in 5.3.

My end goal is to just end up with a kernel file (with embedded
ramdisk image) that I can boot with grub (from a cf card), but I'm not
sure how to fix the script to get there.

Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks.