Date:      Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:37:03 +0900
From:      Tatsumi Hosokawa <hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp>
To:        imp@village.org
Cc:        hosokawa@itc.keio.ac.jp, mobile@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Polling mode of pcic as default?

At Sat, 15 Jan 2000 11:21:58 -0700,
Warner Losh <imp@village.org> wrote:

> I think that so long as I can set the pcic irq from the boot
> loader/userconfig, I'm happy with making polling default.  There are
> more race conditions with polling (actually, there aren't more, but
> their windows are larger), so we may see more system hangs with
> polling rather than with the interrupt method, but I don't know how
> many more.

Removing heavy-loaded Ethernet PC-card or removing unmounted storage
card (almost always) causes system crash regardless of IRQ/polling
method. (Of course, I admit that polling mode is more dangerous than
IRQ mode)

To avoid race condition, users have to execute "pccard power slotnum
0" before s/he remove a card from a slot like Microsoft Windows.  To
make it easier, wrapper script or X interface (like xpccard in PAO)
will be useful, and to solve this problem essentially, I think that it
needs more and more hacks in device management system.

Okay, default mode of PCIC is IRQ mode in coming 4.0-RELEASE, but
polling mode works as well.