Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 2000 22:51:51 +0900
From:      "Akinori MUSHA" <knu@idaemons.org>
To:        Gregory Neil Shapiro <gshapiro@FreeBSD.ORG>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: HEADS UP: sendmail related changes

Would you add an UPDATING entry for this?  Many people have been
reporting problems with the local mailer not knowing these changes.

At Tue, 10 Oct 2000 11:19:43 -0700 (PDT),
Gregory Neil Shapiro wrote:
> The following changes have been made in -CURRENT:
>
> 1. mail.local(8) is no longer installed as a set-user-id binary.
>
>    If you are using a /etc/mail/sendmail.cf from the default sendmail.cf
>    included with FreeBSD any time after 3.1.0, you are fine.  If you are
>    using a hand-configured sendmail.cf and mail.local for delivery, check
>    to make sure the F=S flag is set on the Mlocal line.  Those with .mc
>    files who need to add the flag can do so by adding the following line to
>    their your .mc file and regenerating the sendmail.cf file:
>
>        MODIFY_MAILER_FLAGS(`LOCAL', `+S')dnl
>
>    Note that FEATURE(`local_lmtp') already does this.
>
> 2. sendmail(8) is now built with STARTTLS support unless NO_OPENSSL is set.
>
> 3. The default /etc/mail/sendmail.cf disables the SMTP EXPN and VRFY
>    commands.
>
> 4. Now using sendmail's version of vacation(1).
>
>    This change should be transparent except for the new options/features
>    available.
>
> 5. The sendmail cf building tools (contrib/sendmail/cf) are installed in
>    /usr/share/sendmail/cf.

                           /
                          /__  __
                         / )  )  ) )  /    and.or.jp / ruby-lang.org
Akinori -Aki- MUSHA aka / (_ /  ( (__(  @ idaemons.org / FreeBSD.org

"We're only at home when we're on the run, on the wing, on the fly"