Date:      08 Oct 1998 19:59:56 -0500
From:      Joel Ray Holveck <joelh@gnu.org>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: BETA problems

Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au> writes:

>> At the beginning of this weekend, I started installing the 0928
>> beta.  Due to phone line quality issues out here, it took two days,
>> and ended with me installing the necessary stuff plus the (then
>> released) 1002 source, and then doing a make world.  (One suggestion:
>> If an install fails due to a network failure, restart at the block
>> instead of at the distribution.)
> Owing to the way the blocks are compressed, you can't do this.  You
> have to start at the beginning.

I haven't studied this closely, but Gary said that it's because the
entire segment is a single gzipped stream, and that doing so would
cause a restart midstream.

I just glanced over the zlib sources, and started wondering.  Would it
be possible to copy the state of the decompression engine, in
anticipation of failure?  How expensive would it be?

>> During the install, I noticed that the CAM drivers don't appear in
>> user_config.  I know this was discussed elsewhere, but my $0.02 says
>> get it in before release if possible.
> Already done.

Okay.  I noticed this discussed elsewhere, but didn't see anybody
saying they were doing anything about it.

>> In the release notes, we say that the 3C509 is supported.
>> Preliminary tests indicate that the ep0 driver in the 10/02 beta is
>> in less of a functioning state than ever.  (Does anybody know how to
>> get the blasted 3C509 programmers' specs?)
> Write to 3com.

Okay.  They haven't responded, so I was wondering.

>> Now, after making world, compiling a new kernel, and rebooting, I
>> get a string of SCSI probe messages during boot:
[snip
> These have already been discussed.  If you don't boot with -v, you
> won't see them.

Sorry, missed that discussion during my search.

Thanks,
joelh

--
Joel Ray Holveck - joelh@gnu.org - http://www.wp.com/piquan