Date:      Fri, 12 Jan 1996 12:15:06 -0500
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   SCO device drivers in FreeBSD

<<On Fri, 12 Jan 1996 09:45:40 -0500, chuck@fang.cs.sunyit.edu said:

>         I know this is a bit obscure but Mach4 added support for
> "ununmodified Linux network drivers" into their system. I also understand
> that SCO is SYS V and not BSD but I'm curious if anyone ever put any
> thought into it. (It would *definately* increase FreeBSD's device
> base).

SCO (and System V in general) has preserved a lot of the historical
UNIX brokenness that 4.3 and 4.4 BSD went to considerable effort to
abandon.  It would be very difficult, and probably counterproductive,
to attempt to built a kernel compilation environment that supports all
the old interfaces.

-GAWollman

--
Garrett A. Wollman   | Shashish is simple, it's discreet, it's brief. ...
wollman@lcs.mit.edu  | Shashish is the bonding of hearts in spite of distance.