Date:      Mon, 8 Apr 1996 12:32:17 -0500
From:      "Daniel M. Eischen" <deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org>
To:        jehamby@covina.lightside.com
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Announcing a port/package of NEdit

>> Files on ftp.cdrom.com:/pub/FreeBSD/incoming:
>>   nedit-4.0.1-notes.tar.gz  - notes and document for nedit
     nedit-4.0.1-notes2.tar.gz  - get this one instead, it has my sample resources
[...]

>Whoohoo!  This is one awesome editor!  Just yesterday, I tried the
>Solaris/X86 version (independently of your announcement), and will get the
>Solaris/SPARC and VMS versions today for school/work.  When I reinstall
>FreeBSD tonight, I'll get that version too..

Yup, I also use it under Solaris 2.4/2.5 as well as SunOS 4.1.3, HP/UX,
and Linux.

>I _highly_ recommend this editor to anyone who is frustrated with the
>sheer BLOAT of Emacs, it performs most of the same text/programmer editor
>features (not all the other junk, News, Mail, etc, etc), is MUCH easier
>for new users to learn, very fast for advanced users (keyboard shortcuts
>for all menus) and the binary is under 400k if linked shared with Motif
>(and that includes 90k of online help).  Check it out!

I'm glad that someone else has used this before :-).  I didn't want to
sound too biased towards it, but it really is a great editor!

>If we had Motif (or Lesstif?) in the core or X11 distribution, I would
>suggest to make this the standard X editor for FreeBSD, but although I
>haven't tried it with Lesstif, I suspect it's not quite ready yet..

How come there aren't any Motif packages?  There's enough people around
with Motif to make the ports/packages and since there isn't any restriction
on Motif binaries (at least with my version of Motif), can't we provide
some as packages?

Or is it that one of the maintainers needs to be able to recreate the package?

Dan Eischen
deischen@iworks.InterWorks.org