Date:      Thu, 18 Jan 1996 12:03:24 -0500
From:      Jerry Kendall <jerry@border.com>
To:        Eldon Sprickerhoff <bb9@interlog.com>, Alan Barclay <gorilla@elaine.drink.com>, Stephen Jonker <sjonker@klg.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: SyQuest EZ135 Removable cartridge disk drive

On Thu, 18 Jan 1996, Stephen Jonker wrote:

> > Earlier this morning I read all sorts of archived email messages that
> > indicated that the EZ135 will work just great with FreeBSD....
> >
> > It is a SCSI external 135 Meg removable drive....
> >
> > None of the messages were for the EZ135. They were for the 270 Meg version
> > of the removable cartridge drives... After sending Email to the hackers
> > list, I went and purchased one for $299.00, at of all places, a MAC
> > wharehouse. The only difference is the price... *379.00 at joe's computer
> > emporium and $325.00 at the place next to joe's.....
> >
> > I will install it tonight and let you all know how it went(I would not
> > have got it if I felt it would fail).....
> >
> > Now if I want another 135Meg for someting else, I spend $35.00 and get
> > another cartridge.... Great for what I want to do....
> >
> > Geez, I am beginning to follow Stephen's example...
> >
> > 	'learn, learn, learn. But! I need the toys first!!!!'.
> >
> > The justification will follow in the form of experience....
> >
> > Sounds good to me...
>
> Hi,
>
> So how did it go.
>
> Bye, Stephen.

Well, it took more time to open up my system and remove the internal SCSI
bus terminators than it took to connect, fdisk, disklabel, newfs the whole
drive...

Point, actually a safety point, if I press the eject button while the
drive is mounted, it will eject the cartridge ***AFTER*** I umount the
drive... It will wait.... No blown file systems...COOL!!!!!!

BTW: the drives 13ms access times that are posted on www.syquest.com seem
to be accurat.... It is bloody fast for a AHA 1520...

Question: It only formatted to about 128Meg... The docs say it it 135Meg.
	Is this correct ????

Any comments or opinions in this message are my own and may or may not reflect
the comments or opinions of my present or previous employers.

                    Jerry Kendall      Border Network Technologies Inc.
         System Software Engineer      Tel +1-416-368-7157 ext 303
                 jerry@border.com      Fax +1-416-368-7178