Date:      Sun, 21 Sep 2008 08:55:35 +0300
From:      "Odhiambo Washington" <odhiambo@gmail.com>
To:        "Grant Peel" <gpeel@thenetnow.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrading

On Sun, Sep 21, 2008 at 2:29 AM, Grant Peel <gpeel@thenetnow.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I am preparing to upgrade all servers from FBSD 6.2 to 6.3 in preperation
> for 6.4, and some day 7.x
>
> One thing I have always found a little confusing is what tag to specify in
> the supfile.
>
> If a machine is running 6.2, and I want to upgrade to the latest production
> release, would I use:
>
> RELENG_6_3 ?

RELENG_6

> Also, What do you all think about jumping from 6.4 straight to 7.1 when its
> released (cvsup method)?

Hmm.... In such cases, it will depend on what the server is running.
I'd prefer a fresh install and migrate services by hand. However,
upgrade from 6.4 -> 7.x should be doable.

Anyway, see this: http://people.freebsd.org/~rse/upgrade/

It's some authoritative source for upgrades.

--
Best regards,
Odhiambo WASHINGTON,

 --from a /. post