Date:      Fri, 29 Jan 1999 17:26:37 +0000
From:      Tim Preece <bsdcurrent@scratch.demon.co.uk>
To:        current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Telnet and NIS queries

Hi,

I am having a few problems with my v.small network.

I have 2 boxes both pc's, one running FreeBSD nearly current (Updated
begin Jan) and the other running 3.0 release.

Firstly I was able to telnet to 127.0.0.1 and log in as root, however
now even this seems to be causing problems the same as if I try to
telnet to the other box and log in as root.

This is the message that I get

scratch2 login: LOGIN root REFUSED (NOROOT) from scratch1.netlink on TTY
ttyp0

The other problem is that I am having problems with networked accounts,
unable to log on as anything from one machine except that which was
created on it

Don't know if this is anything to do with it but I get this message

scratch1 login: LOGIN FAILURE from scratch1.netlink
repeat
repeat
scratch login: NIS netgroup support not configured

reading about netgroup and creating /etc/netgroup with only + in it
and re-make the yp Makefile does not produce netgrp.byname etc

Do I need netgroup and if so what am  I doing wrong, Is this a problem
with having ELF on one box and aout on the other !!!!!

any help much appreciated

Thanks
--
Tim Preece