Date:      Sun, 28 Jul 1996 11:48:27 -0400
From:      fbsd-isp@launchpad.win.net (Joe Mays - freebsd-isp)
To:        freebsd-isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Apache Virtual Website options

Up until now we have been using the cern server as our primary web
server.  We also have a few hundred virtual websites that have
been using the cern httpd_multi quite happily.  I just switched the
main server over to apache httpd with no problem, and we are
looking at switching all the virtual websites over to apache also.

Here's the question -- apache offers two options for running
virtual web sites.  You can use use the Bind option, which binds
the server to the ip number and runs a separate server daemon for
each virtual website (this more or less equates to what we are
doing now with cern), or you can use the Listen option to run
allow the primary daemon to also listen and respond to all the
virtual websites.

Does anyone have any input on which method offers more performance
when you get into the 200-300 virtual website realm?

Joe Mays