Date:      Sun, 07 Feb 1999 07:44:21 -0500
From:      Andrew Lankford <arlankfo@141.com>
To:        "John Barbee" <jbarbee@singular.com>
Cc:        cjclark@home.com, "FreeBSD Questions" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Making my login class capabilities database work right on 2.2.5

In message <001801be5232$f91f8ef0$0700a8c0@farpoint>, "John Barbee" writes:
>Andrew, I have gotten my X logins to show up in some form.  I think I was
>able to get it showing up in the last log but not respond to w/who/finger.
>I was in the middle of tracking down where in the code these program were
>getting their information from but got distracted.  I've since reinstalled
>and haven't gotten back to it.

Yeah, You run "who" using the wtmp file instead of utmp, and you'll get a long
list of all the folks who have been on, including your X sessions (I think),
but who won't read an X session entry out of the utmp file (which is what it
normally does).

>Anyway, I think that with the correct sessreg config like it says in
>http://www.freebsd.org/cgi/getmsg.cgi?fetch=137567+139561+/usr/local/www/db/
>text/1997/freebsd-questions/19970608.freebsd-questions
>you get stuff showing up in the last log.  However, in order for the other
>cmds to work you need to do something else.  But I'm not sure and I'm not an
>expert.

Just read it, tried it.  Works with "who /var/log/wtmp" but not with just plain
old "who".  The man page for sessreg complains that BSD's interface to utmp is
just inferior to SysV's.  The gall!