Date:      Tue, 10 Dec 2002 09:59:16 -0800
From:      Michael DeMan <michael@staff.openaccess.org>
To:        Alexander Langer <alex@big.endian.de>
Cc:        <freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Promise RAID controller

Hi,

We're running 4.6.2.  We had no remote access.  The failure was on the swap
partition and it would not respond to TCP connections.  The physical console
was still fine.

The worst of this is we tested hot swapping drives, rebuilding arrays in the
background, everything and were thinking we were in good shape.  We have a
half-dozen of these boxes with identical hardware configuration in
production now and cannot afford to have them lock up if a drive fails.

I agree about IDE-RAID, but we are on a tight budget and need only
reliability, not performance, from these machines.

- Mike

On 12/9/02 2:31 PM, "Alexander Langer" <alex@big.endian.de> wrote:

> Thus spake Michael DeMan (michael@staff.openaccess.org):
>
>> We are using Promise RAID controllers built on motherboards.  These provide
>> simple RAID-1 mirroring for us.
>
> Same here.
>
>> My assumption would be that the RAID controller would respond and
>> automatically detach a bad disk.
>
> That's actually what it should do, and once already did here -- on a
> 4.6-STABLE box - older kernel's showed a similar behaviour.  I remotely
> had the impression the box hung, but maybe it had the same symptoms as
> your box.  What version are you using?
>
> Anyways, I wouldn't actually recommend User-Hardware such as the
> ATA-RAID-Controllers for production systems anyways.
>
> Alex

Michael F. DeMan
Director of Technology
OpenAccess Internet Services