Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 2010 14:34:30 -0500
From:      Paul Mather <paul@gromit.dlib.vt.edu>
To:        Nathan Whitehorn <nwhitehorn@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: New powerpc64 snapshot

http://people.freebsd.org/~nwhitehorn/FreeBSD-9.0-20101118-SNAP-powerpc64/=

>=20
> These include several bugfixes relative to previous snapshots.

I was able successfully to install this snapshot today on an Xserve G5.  =
I had several problems, though:

1) I could not boot from the bootloader script after the install was =
complete; I had forcibly to "setenv boot-device hd:,\ppc\boot1.elf" for =
the system to boot into FreeBSD from power-on.  (I did remember the =
"gpart bootcode ..." step, too.)

2) Usually, the system will not boot multi-user as it is unable to mount =
the root partition after booting the kernel.  Dropping into the debugger =
and issuing a "reboot" to do a warm boot will allow the system then to =
boot multi-user successfully.

3) The system is LOUD!  It sounds like the fans are running high pretty =
much all the time---running much higher than Mac OS X 10.5 runs them.  I =
notice a "fcu" fan-related device during boot.  Is there any way to =
force the fans to run at a lower speed?  I'm going to go deaf at this =
rate. :-)

4) After a while, my system fell of the network with "bge0: watchdog =
timeout -- resetting" being output on the console periodically.

5) A minor thing, but the "locate" command doesn't work properly.  =
Either it doesn't find something I know is there, or it finds something =
but prints out incorrect gibberish as a result (e.g., just printing out =
lines of "/" in response to a "locate etc").

I realise the FreeBSD/powerpc64 port is experimental at this point.  Can =
anyone tell me if the above symptoms afflict the 32-bit FreeBSD/powerpc =
8-STABLE port?  Although I like the idea of the powerpc64 port allowing =
me to use all of the 3.5 GB RAM in this machine, at this point it is =
more important for me to trade away the extra RAM for stability (and =
*quietness*:).  If FreeBSD/powerpc 8-STABLE is more solid, I'd rather =
switch to that, as I'd like to get this machine back into service.

(I would be more prepared to soldier on with FreeBSD/powerpc64 if I =
could get the fan noise problem under control.  That would let me do =
more testing without going crazy from the noise.:)

Cheers,

Paul.