Date:      Thu, 28 Nov 2019 13:01:53 +0100
From:      Tomasz CEDRO <tomek@cedro.info>
To:        Shane Ambler <FreeBSD@shaneware.biz>
Cc:        freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Blender 2.79 vs 2.80

Thank You Shane!! Blender 2.79 is exactly what I urgently need right now!
Will try and report back :-)

I have ongoing project based on BlenderGameEngine controlled by external
electronics over Python.

UX folks decided simply to completely remove BlenderGameEngine with no
working alternative of any sort, not even plugin :-(

I just remember quite the same siuation around 2008 when some UX smart ass
removed menu from toolbar in GIMP saying "no other application works this
way" and "according to microsoft progress is about enforcing changes" :-(

How people can just destroy something that was working here for over 25
years and stay okay with that?! What kind of ignorant one has to be to work
this way??

I saw Godot and Ogre3D ports (how cool they are here already), and Armory
Engine, looks nice, also wide multiplatform porting possibilities, but that
implies unwanted complication and project in progress reorganization at its
core :-( Blender would be only 3D modelling tool and the rest happens
somewhere else. BGE allowed to have absolutely everything in one place +
standalone binary generation. And none of them allows Python control.
Everything would have to be rewritten from scratch.

Blender 2.80+ ViewPort does not allow real-time simulations..? Blender now
became just fancy 3D modelling and animation tool.. while its core
assumption since 1994 was quick VR prototyping.

I am also working on UPBGE port that is Blender 2.80 fork with BGE
included. Maybe it will be some sort remedy until they re-invent the BGE
again in the upstream.

Anyway 2.79 is still highly demanded because it is the last official with
BGE onboard. I would kindly ask to put that into port tree :-) In the best
situation Blender could be a standalone bundle located in
/usr/local/{share/}blender/ so we have different versions next to each
other with nonimpact on sysyem configuration..? :-)

Thank you :-)
Tomek