Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 2024 21:48:36 -0400
From:      Ed Maste <emaste@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Cc:        roy@marples.name, Ben Woods <woodsb02@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Importing dhcpcd(8) into FreeBSD base

On Sun, 7 Aug 2022 at 01:32, Ben Woods <woodsb02@freebsd.org> wrote:

> Hi freebsd-net,
>
> I would like to propose dhcpcd is imported into FreeBSD base.

I've started to revisit this during the Kitchener-Waterloo Hackathon.
I've discussed briefly with Ben in private mail.

For context, have a look at the previous threads on this topic:
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2016-June/045535.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-net/2019-May/053480.html
https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-net/2022-August/002234.html

In the previous threads some objections were raised about dhcpcd's
lack of sandboxing (Capsicum / privilege separation), which has since
been addressed.

I would like to start building and installing dhcpcd by default so
that it is available for testing and experimentation. I do not intend
to replace dhclent or rtsold, at least without more information, test
results, and consensus.

> - 14.0 (and perhaps 13.2) - dhcpcd included but off by default (WITH_DHCPCD=on, but rc.conf/network.subr continue to use dhclient/rtsold). Release notes list forward plan.
>
> - 14.1 - switch defaults in rc.conf/network.subr to use dhcpcd instead of dhclient/rtsold. Subject to any issues being addressed prior. Release notes could list deprecation of dhclient/rtsold - this deprecation step could be done slower if desired.

Any change to use dhcpcd by default doesn't belong in a minor release,
so if we're going to do this it won't be before 15.0.

> - 15.0 - remove dhclient/rtsold - again, could be done slower if desired.

I agree with a minimum of one major release for this, so it would be
16.0 at the earliest.

> https://reviews.freebsd.org/D22012

There's a lot of history in this review, which is useful but also
unwieldy. When there's a rebased patch set ready I'll create a new
review and reference it from D22012.