Date:      Fri, 12 Mar 2004 10:58:59 +0100
From:      "Gunnarsson, Mikael" <Mikael.Gunnarsson@octapharma.se>
To:        "Erich Dollansky" <oceanare@pacific.net.sg>, "Jason" <jason@ec.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: About the IBM R40e notebook and its harddrive, making strange sounds.

> > Would "dack" be the normal sound for your drive, or is it
> only un=
der

> It sounds like the normal operating sound. I have one 20 GB I=
BM
> drive since 2 years. The noise makes you jump but the drive still =

> works. I moved it between notebooks and operating systems. It is
> =
always the same sound but it looks to me that the noise is less
> under=
 FreeBSD.

I get the same weird clacking sound from my Thinkpad 240 wit=
h a 6GB drive (most likely IBM too). It made me worried the first times, =
but now I've had the machine for couple of months and it hasn't shown any=
 problems.. The previous owner used NT4 on the machine, but she never com=
plained about any sound, so I don't know if it existed then or she just n=
ever mentioned it..

This email and any files transmitted with it ar=
e confidential and intended solely for the use of the individual or entit=
y to whom they are addressed. If you have received this email in error pl=
ease notify the system manager. This message contains confidential inform=
ation and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the n=
amed addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail=
.