Date:      Sat, 18 Jun 2022 01:30:08 -0400
From:      "Jaskaran Veer Singh" <lists@jaskaran.org>
To:        "Ian Smith" <smithi@nimnet.asn.au>, <questions@freebsd.org>
Cc:        <postmaster@freebsd.org>

Adding to that, I'd love to see mailing list name automatically preprended =
the subject line. It helps with quickly knowing what list the message is fr=
om.
Other mailing lists (not FreeBSD) that I follow have this feature.

Opinions?

--
Jaskaran

On Sat Jun 18, 2022 at 1:15 AM EDT, Ian Smith wrote:
> Hi folks,  cc: postmaster@
>
> I've been partly keeping up with questions@ online the last year or so, t=
hrough the change from pipermail to mlmmj and attendant loss of functionali=
ty, but still quite usable.

> Until a week or two ago, when the latest radical change has completely br=
oken the ability to smoothly traverse the latest or any previous month's me=
ssages when read By Thread, namely:

> Instead of linking messages to next and previous messages in thread, ther=
e are only (possibly multiple) Reply links, and Reply To links back, but no=
 "next / previous message in thread" links, which a) allowed full traversal=
 of all messages in the thread, and b) moving on to the next thread after t=
he last one.

> As it's recently been changed to, you have to choose, one at a time, whic=
h 'sub-thread' to view, at the end of which you're stuck.  Unless you hit '=
back' through that sub-thread to the first and then select the next Reply, =
which is very tedious on slow connections.

> Worse, there's no way, as before, to view the whole list again from where=
 you're up to, to choose another such rabbithole, but you're thrown back to=
 the very top of the list, having to page down to find your place again.

> The only other option is to press 'back' after reading each message, wher=
e you at least can pick the next message from index, also tedious.

> If that doesn't make sense, try for yourself:
>
> https://lists.freebsd.org/archives/freebsd-questions/2022-June/index.html
>
> Try the thread(s)
>
>         "OT: typing with broken arm"
>
> and try reading (or skimming) all messages in that thread.
>
> So, can this please be restored to how it was, not with pipermail (sadly)=
 but at least to where it was a couple of weeks ago?

> If so, I have some on-topic questions, but I must subscribe without email=
 delivery until I get a machine going.