Date:      Sun, 01 Apr 2001 21:03:49 -0700
From:      "Charles Burns" <burnscharlesn@hotmail.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, dphoenix@bravenet.com
Subject:   Re: how can you say ufs is faster?

I am just citing my own tests. Transfering large streaming files was about
2% faster and transfering small files (4k) was about 6-8% faster.
There are other factors in filesystem performance besides whether files are
mounted synchronously or asynchronously, such as cluster size, metadata
overhead, fragmentation, whether the FS is tuned for large or small files,
whether the FS is designed to defragment itself in real time (like UFS) and
how much effort it puts towards doing this (configurable with tunefs), the
controller chip, the IDE driver, and even the physical location of the files
on the hard drive.

My tests could be wrong, as I never intended them to be true scientific
comparisons. Note, however, that I tuned the filesystem on the Linux system
using "hdparm" and did no tuning whatsoever with the FreeBSD system.

The hard drive tested was a Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 40GB drive with 2 megs of
100MHz SDRAM cache. The drive is ATA100 capable, but is on an AMD751
controller so is at ATA66. The CPU is an Athlon classic at 750MHz, 1/3 speed
cache memory (not the default of 1/2 speed). The files were not cached in
RAM and both tests were on freshly installed systems. The Linux distribution
was Slackware 7.1 and the FreeBSD installation was 4.2-RELEASE.

Besides, you can mount UFS partitions asynch if you really want to.

If your benchmarks show that Linux's EXT2 is faster, more power to you. I
have other reasons for using FreeBSD even if that is indeed the case.

"Use the right tool for the right job" :)

Charles Burns