Date:      Mon, 10 Dec 2018 00:33:07 -0800
From:      Mark Millard <marklmi@yahoo.com>
To:        Dennis Clarke <dclarke@blastwave.org>
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: head -r333897 (usefdt and old PowerMac) questions

On 2018-Dec-9, at 22:07, Dennis Clarke <dclarke at blastwave.org> wrote:

> On 12/10/18 12:35 AM, Mark Millard via freebsd-ppc wrote:
>> On 2018-May-19, at 21:27, Mark Millard <marklmi26-fbsd at yahoo.com> =
wrote:
confirmed working on PowerMac 11,2 (like the quad core). You must use =
vt, not sc, but everything should work out of the box once that patch is =
in. The only caveat is that bge0 and bge1 may swap numbers.
>>>=20
>>> Good to know. Thanks.
>>>=20
>>> "You must use vt, not sc": does this mean changing to not
>>> include sc in the kernel at all? Or will /boot/loader.conf
>>> having:
>>>=20
>>> kern.vty=3Dvt
>>>=20
>>> be enough despite sc also being present?
>>> . . .
>> Just an FYI about my from-source builds based on =
devel/powerpc64-xtoolchain-gcc
>> and the reverted-to-before /usr/src/sys/powerpc/include/vmparam.h =
-r334498 .
>> With the recent activity I jumped from -r340287 to -r341766 . It =
booted fine as
>> smp.
>> I tried booting with "set usefdt=3D1" and the ethernet connection =
moved to
>> the other plugin position. It booted fine as smp. That was with
>> /boot/loader.conf having:
>> kern.vty=3Dsc
>>=20
>=20
> I feel a bit out of the loop here. I don't know what that =
"kern.vty=3Dsc"
> is for at all. Perhaps kernel video tty =3D sugar coated?  Just a =
guess.

See: https://wiki.freebsd.org/Newcons

vt is the newer console support, sc (syscons) is the older support.

Long ago Nathan provided a workaround when I had a problem with
vt. It involved disabling ps3 support in order to allow building with
both vt and sc available. If I remember right, I've used sc more than
vt since then.

>> However I've not used X11 or such in years, just the console and ssh =
sessions.
>=20
> Same here.
>=20
> I can tell you that 341705 requires kern.smp.disabled=3D1 and usefdt=3D1=
 in
> order to boot without a strange freeze or panic. I will check out =
341781
> now and see what new stability has arrived but 341705 requires hand
> holding and small prayers at boot time.

You are working with builds based on
/usr/src/sys/powerpc/include/vmparam.h having been updated. I am not.
The contexts are not the same and mine is a variation on the official
version, not the official version.

Your assumptions are invalidated by this difference (and possibly =
others)
if you make claims about my experimental builds of variations of any
specific version. I'd be surprised at this point if you tried an =
official
-r341766 build and found the behavior shown in my experimental build.
Similarly if I tried -r341705 .

I'm only claiming that in some contexts, reverting vmparam.h and
using that to do the builds seems to sidestep whatever the issue
is for G5's: it is a workaround/hack at this point and not likely
involved in a general fix. I'm not the only one to have seen such
variations in behavior for version variations based on vmparam.h
content for the one macro in question.

> Yes the bge0 and bge1 do swap places. I see your notes on Bug 233863 =
and
> will follow along here.
>=20

I consider the old exchange with Nathan separate. I figured that he =
might
be interested that sc would be working. Prior to the around 2018-May-19
messages, Nathan and I last interactions for usefdt=3D1 use in 2016, if =
remember right.

I'm not sure when I will next do anything remotely interesting with the
G5. There might not be much to follow for a while.

=3D=3D=3D
Mark Millard
marklmi at yahoo.com
( dsl-only.net went