Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 15:51:45 -0800
From:      "Edward W. M." <edward_wm@hotmail.com>
To:        dominic_marks@hotmail.com
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Secure Servers (SMTP, POP3, FTP)

>FTP Options:

The choice depends entirely on what features you need.

>1. proFTPd - Seems secure and has "enterprise" features

My 1st 2nd choice. Not a very impressive security record, but
if you cannot live without virtual user support, it's a good
choice, I run it on one of my boxes.

>2. wu-Ftpd - Good security (bad History) excellent performance

I have lost all faith in wu-ftpd, I'm sorry to say.

>3. ftpd - Dodgy security? Doesn't seem to be used very much

ftpd is my number one choice when it comes to security and good performance.
IMHO, adding virtual user support would make a fair
number of proftpd users switch to this nice server. Speaking of
virtual user support - is anyone already working on that? I have
been thinking of doing it myself, so if you feel there is some
other functionality that is missing please send me a "wish list"
and I will compile the results and post them here for further
discussion.

>Mail Options:
>1. Qmail - Secure, written for FreeBSD (Qwest?), Fast, Configurable

I would advise against qmail, as I've had reliability issues with
it.

>2. Sendmail - Industry standard, works fine, big user base

Not the best performer and it's had a bad security record, but
to someone (like me) who's invested a lot of time in learning the
somewhat hieroglyphical way of configuring it *cough cough*, sendmail
is like religion. I still run it on a few boxes, I doubt I will
ever be able to completely get rid of it.

>3. Postfix - Secure, quite light on system resources, growing
>support

Good, secure, lightweight, good performance. I use postfix and
sendmail on my boxes. I'd recommend postfix as you seem to have
no emotional attachments to sendmail. :-)

As for IMAP, Cyrus is the only server worth mentioning. I have
yet to see a secure IMAP server that comes close to Cyrus, both
in security and performance.

ports/mail/courier-imap looks promising, but at this stage it's just
something for people who want to tinker with it, IMHO. It's fairly
new, so it has no proven security record and it currently supports
the Maildir format ONLY.

As for POP3, Cyrus is the number one choice if you want to have
both IMAP and POP3. If you only need POP3, I would recommend
ports/mail/popa3d, which is a secure, well performing server
written by Solar Designer. If you need virtual host / user support,
APOP or Maildir support then I would recommend ports/mail/solidpop3d.
If for some odd reason you are unable to use one of the mentioned
servers then cucipop would be the next choice.

I hope that helps,
Edward W. M.