Date:      Sun, 8 Feb 1998 15:38:23 -0800 (PST)
From:      patl@phoenix.volant.org
To:        Kevin Street <street@iName.com>
Cc:        patl@phoenix.volant.org, Nate Williams <nate@mt.sri.com>, freebsd-java@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Java bug with setMenuBar()

> >It would also be helpful to know which window manager you are using.
> >I've seen similar behavour with non-Java X apps that behave properly
> >under one window manager, but move under another.  (It relates to
> >WM or app toolkit bugs in ICCCM compliance.  Specificly, whether the
> >window origin is interpreted as the origin of the application's top
> >level window or of the border added by the WM.)
>
> I normally use fvwm-2.0.46.  I get the same results under twm (not
> sure of the version).  I'm on XFree86 3.3.1 and FreeBSD 2.2.5 + fixes
> up to about Jan 1 98.
>
> I'm in the middle of building kde right now and if I can get it
> running I'll see what the test program does there too.  Are there any
> other window managers that you think it would be particularly helpful
> to test under?

I didn't have any particular ones in mind; it's just that past
experience leads me to believe that it is an important datapoint.
Particularly if some people duplicate your results and others
don't.  It's amazing how often such discrepancies turn out to
be in something that everyone is taking for granted...

For your particular problem, it would be interesting to discover
whether the behavour changes on a SPARC Solaris/CDE platform.

-Pat

with "unsubscribe java" in the body of the message