Date:      Sun, 1 Dec 1996 14:55:19 +0100
From:      se@freebsd.org (Stefan Esser)
To:        wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte)
Cc:        FreeBSD-hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD hackers list)
Subject:   Re: Racal Interlan ethernet card: any good?

On Dec 1, wilko@yedi.iaf.nl (Wilko Bulte) wrote:
> Hi
>
> I just picked up a AM79C970-based Racal Interlan PCI ethernet card.
> It's probably called 'Interlan PCI T2' from the looks of a little sticker
> on the board.
>
> Any chance that the lnc driver will work with this puppy? Any experiences
> with this particular card?

No experience, but it should be supported by the lnc driver.
I added the Lance PCI probe code to -current half a year ago,
and got no complaints (which means it works or isn't used :)

You need a config line for "lnc0 at isa?", and the PCI card
will then be "lnc1" (the later ISA probe could still find an
ISA card at the port address specified).

Please do NOT configure the lnc0 to probe the port address
assigned by the PCI BIOS. It will then be found twice (as PCI
and later as ISA card). There still is no conflicts check
between PCI and ISA. (On my ToDo list for a long time now ...)

Let me know whether it works for you!

> It's second hand, so I'm gonna try it in a experimental system first before
> putting it into my main machine.

I've seen them offered for less than $50 (by mail order).
They should be much better than the NE2000 PCI clones, which
require port I/O accesses to the on-board SRAM (and cost less
than $30).

Regards, STefan