Date:      Thu, 9 Jan 1997 21:43:15 +0100
From:      j@uriah.heep.sax.de (J Wunsch)
To:        mrcpu@cdsnet.net (Jaye Mathisen)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-BETA install report, minor problems.

As Jaye Mathisen wrote:

> 1)  Configuring local time zone results in a "copied" message after
> copying the file which seems a little redundant give that you just
> selected what you wanted to do, it asked to confirm it, and then tells you
> that it did it.  Time consuming.

Remember that tzsetup is a standalone program normally.  The `copied'
message is to make it clear that /etc/localtime is indeed a separate
copy now, so e.g. it won't be updated next time your /usr/share files
are renewed.  This is the default.  The opposite is to create a
symlink into /usr/share/zoneinfo/.  tzsetup will do this if the
existing /etc/localtime happened to be a symlink already, and will
announce it then.

> 2)  The box I was installing on had BSD/OS installed on it.  For whatever

BSD/OS uses a totally `weird' bootstrap if used in dedicated mode
(withouth an fdisk table).  This is something like our `dangerously
dedicated' mode, and BSDi should probably warn about its dangers as
well.  You just felt it...

>     I tried everything I could think of.  fdisk shows totally bizarre
> numbers for the partition table, and the only way I could get the damn
> thing to install properly was to low-level format the disk from my Adaptec
> controller.

No.  I think a simple dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/rsd0 count=100 should
have done it as well.  (Substitute the actual device for rsd0 if
BSD/OS has a different one, i don't know.)  The same procedure is
needed to reuse a `dangerously dedicated' FreeBSD disk e.g. for a
MicroSoft system.

--
cheers, J"org