Date:      Thu, 14 Aug 1997 12:11:58 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Richard Hodges <rh@alpine.net>
To:        dennis <dennis@etinc.com>
Cc:        isp@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Multi-homed - Load Balancing - No Single Point of Failure

On Thu, 14 Aug 1997, dennis wrote:

> >My "typical" router is one T1 and one Ethernet.
> >
> >Etinc: (new)       Ascend: (new)           cisco: (used)
> >---------------    ---------               -----------
> > $550  5025 card   $1025  Pipeline 130     $1200  2501 (used)
> > $125  cable       $ n/a  v.35 cable n/a   $  ??  cable may be included
> > $400  DSU/CSU     $ n/a  DSU/CSU          $ 400  DSU/CSU
> >----               ------                  -----
> >$1075 (w/o host)   $1025  ready to go      $1600  ready to go
> >
> >+ $50  to add F/R    + 0  included           $ 0  included
>
> Well, almost..its $585. for a card and a cable (Perhaps you confused
> our cable with Cisco's?), and $375 for a CSU/DSU, so you are
> talking $960.

Ok.  Your web page said the cable was not included, and the v.35
cable below had a price of $125.  So I just figured...

> For slow, single port routers....yeah, you may be right. Of course
> no one makes any money on a low-end router anyway, so who
> cares?

If I need several low-end routers, then *I* care.

> >Yes, I *DO UNDERSTAND* that *BSD is much more powerful for
> >routing...  But I know how to set up cisco and Ascend.
>
> This, is a personal problem. If you *don't* the learning curve is similar.

I understand FreeBSD better than you think.  Your cards I do not.

> >Your web page documentation could benefit greatly if you would put
> >your manuals, tips, and configuration information online.  You see,
> >I want to know everything about the job *BEFORE I BUY*.
>
> If you're talking to ET, it IS up there, so perhaps we're on a different
> wavelength.

I would love to read your product manuals and configuration guides.
(That is really what I am asking for.)  What are the URLs?

> >If I could get your basic 5025 with cable for $250 to $300, I would
> >probably get one for experimentation.

> Perhaps, some day, when we are really hard up for business we
> will consider such a *program*.... :-) But for now things are pretty
> much booming....

If I knew your products were better than my other options, I would be
willing to pay more.  Since I do not know that, my "experimental"
budget is smaller.

> >I hope you don't take this as a grip, but if you do, please consider
> >it that I really would like to try your products... but the price is
> >too high and I need a chance to build confidence in them.

> The price is *approproiate*.

You have not demonstrated your products' full value (yet) TO ME...

> For $300. its not worth the trouble dealing with you...

That is a funny way to phrase it...  But I understand.

If the customer is not saying "yes", then you must educate your customer
until he understands why the product is worth what you are asking.

All the best,

-Richard

Richard Hodges    |    (702) 888-3000
Alpine Internet   |   400 Fairview Drive
rh@alpine.net     |   Carson City, NV 89701
member, ISP/C