Date:      Tue, 10 Jun 1997 18:34:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        "Brian N. Handy" <handy@sag.space.lockheed.com>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: malloc failed?

On Tue, 10 Jun 1997, Brian N. Handy wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I'm trying to look at some pretty large quicktime movies on my box with
> xanim, and I keep crashing with this line:
>
> lambic:/a % xanim middle.qt
> XAnim Rev 2.70.6.4 by Mark Podlipec (c) 1991-1997
> QT rle: malloc failed
> lambic:/a %
>
> --> According to top this happens when I hit 128MB in size, every time.
> I've removed /etc/login.conf, I've unlimited, but...I can't seem to get
> past this.  It could be a problem with xanim I suppose...but could it be
> something else?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Brian

  Actually, if you remove login.conf, you get the defaults, which are
pretty small.  It is better to use login.conf to set things to infinity.

  Also, back in 2.1, I ran into a problem where the max data size could
not be increased greater than physical memory.  I wonder if this could
your problem too.

Tom