Date:      Mon, 7 Jul 1997 11:57:22 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Tom Samplonius <tom@sdf.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        costa@inner.cortx.com, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: sd0 timed out while idle

On Mon, 7 Jul 1997, Terry Lambert wrote:

> > > button.  Once i rebooted the SCSI bios check could not find my HD.  only
> >
> >   Throw the drive away, because it is going bad.
>
> Or jumper it to spin up without a reset command, so that it is
> on line before it is probed to see if it is online.
>
> Or set the BIOS settings for the controller to have a higher
> delay after the reset before the probe.
>
> Seriously, I've had a number of drives which showed up when the
> machine went through the cold POST, but not when the machine did
> a warm reset.  They were all spin-up-timing issues.

  Not necessarily.  If the drive goes through a warm reset without
problems over, and over, over again without problems, but as soon as you
get a "timeout error", and it hangs, and then it doesn't probe properly
then you have a big problem.

  Also, the ncr controllers are little finicky.  They have a delay option
that I had to increase otherwise it wouldn't wait long enough for the
drives to spin up.  But I only had this problem on cold boots (never on
warm), and only with the ncr controllers.  The Adaptec controllers seem to
wait much longer by default.

  Quatum drives are known to go on a holiday after some continuous use.
Grand Prix drives are particularly bad.  In fact, I think the Atlas is the
only respectible Quantum drive.

  BTW, I only get Seagate Barracuda 4LP or 4XL drives in either 2gb or 4gb
now.  Very nice drives.

Tom