Date:      Thu, 10 Jul 1997 09:16:20 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Brandon Gillespie <brandon@roguetrader.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Help! ed0 no longer works after 'make world' upgrade to -CURRENT

On Thu, 10 Jul 1997, Brandon Gillespie wrote:
> I just upgraded from 2.2.2-RELEASE to 3.0-CURRENT with a make world, then
> a recompile of my kernel.  However, my ed0 is no longer working!  It has
> the exact same port/irq settings as my kernel did with 2.2.2, and it
> probes in the boot sequence.  But when it tries to initialize the network
> all I get is:
>
>    ed0: device timeout

It appears to be working.. all I did:

first boot: didn't work
boot -c, set irq/port (even though its to the same thing): didn't work
recompile kernel (same config), reboot: didn't work
reboot with old 2.2.2 kernel: didn't boot, dunno if it would have worked
reboot back to 3.0: works??

Did I scare the new kernel into submission, did it see an implied threat
that I'd use 2.2.2 if it didn't get its act in shape?  Why did it suddenly
work?

-Brandon Gillespie