Date:      Mon, 13 Aug 2001 04:26:55 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Jamie Bowden <ragnar@sysabend.org>
To:        mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   xe0 and ifconfig

I've run into an odd xe0 problem.  I'm ran ifconfig media 10baseT/UTP on
my laptop (needed to be in 10mbit mode, long story, irrelevant to this
tale) and noticed the dongle still showed 100mbit.  Tried going out and
got continuous watchdog timeout warnings from the kernel.

I could live with this, but, and this is the kicker, in order to get the
card reinitialized to a working state, I had to restart the machine in
Win2k.  Removing and reinserting the card didn't work, cold reboot into
FBSD didn't work.  I was pretty amazed.  I was glad W2k fixed it.  I was
actually glad I had W2k available.  I then rebooted the machine back to
FreeBSD, as I wasn't that glad.

The actual card in question is and Intel PRO/100 PC Card, FreeBSD is
4.3-R, machine is Dell Latitude C800.

I'm curious if anyone has seen this, or if even one of the other xe based
cards (non intel) show this behaviour.

Jamie Bowden

--
"It was half way to Rivendell when the drugs began to take hold"
Hunter S Tolkien "Fear and Loathing in Barad Dur"