Date:      Thu, 2 Sep 1999 20:54:00 +0100 (BST)
From:      Doug Rabson <dfr@nlsystems.com>
To:        Ross Harvey <ross@teraflop.com>
Cc:        freebsd-sparc@freebsd.org, core@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Status of FBSD sparc porting?

On Thu, 2 Sep 1999, Ross Harvey wrote:

> obrien@FreeBSD.org writes...
>
> > Agreed.  Their 1.4 USENIX offering is crap.  The 1.4 bits wouldn't
> > install on two of my Sparcs, nor my pmax boxes.  Me thinks NetBSD rushed
> > the release a little.
>
> Hmm, you sign your mail `obrien@FreeBSD.org', so I guess I'll remember your
> choice of words next time I need to reference a FreeBSD effort, like,
> perhaps the new alpha port. Up to now I've never been in any way critical.
>
> I'm wondering, did you run the `sysinst' screen-menu installer? I think
> that NetBSD/sparc is actually supposed to be installed with the script-based
> installer, which WAS shipped with the release.  The sysinst program is
> completely experimental on sparc, and in hindsight, it should never have
> been shipped on the 1.4 USENIX disks.
>
> However, I'm not sure that the borked sparc installer merits that crude
> put-down of the entire release.
>
> *sniff*

Please accept my apologies on Mr. O'Brien's behalf. He in no way
represents the FreeBSD Project and you shouldn't take his comments as
being from the project. I have great respect for the NetBSD system and
have found it an invaluable resource when working on FreeBSD/alpha.

--
Doug Rabson				Mail:  dfr@nlsystems.com