Date:      Mon, 17 Apr 2000 22:54:52 +1000 (EST)
From:      andrew@ugh.net.au
To:        Richard.Brooksby@pobox.com
Cc:        freebsd-ppc@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD/PowerPC and Apple Darwin OS

On Mon, 17 Apr 2000 Richard.Brooksby@pobox.com wrote:

> The announcement of this new list didn't make any mention of Apple
> Darwin OS <URL: http://publicsource.apple.com/projects/darwin/>.
> "The Darwin kernel is based on FreeBSD and Mach 3.0 technologies..."
> say Apple.  To what extent are these projects related?

Not that I know anything about it but I would say quite
unrelated. FreeBSD/PPC will try to port the FreeBSD kernel to run ontop of
PPC hardware as opposed to darwin which is a FreeBSD derived kernel
running on top of Mach on top of PPC.

FreeBSD/PPC is likely to be oriented towards embedded platforms rather
than PowerMac, esp as more documentation of the hardware tends to be
available. Hopefully some 3rd party PPC machines will emerge soon, perhaps
based on IBMs motherboard designs they released.

Andrew

with "unsubscribe freebsd-ppc" in the body of the message